Monday, March 8, 2010

The Cartoonist in Me..


Aaah.. Over a cup of smooth frothin' coffee that I made myself one evening, I was looking at some old collections of my cartoon drawings.
 
  
Hehe.. I was smiling alone yet again.
I used to dream of becoming a cartoonist when I was in primary school. Those times, Gila-Gila was one of the most well-known humor magazine- just like MAD. Ujang, Jaafar Taib, Rejabhad, Ambo, Nud's, Asan, Cabai, not forgetting LAT... (just to name a few), were among my favorite cartoonists. It was not until after Form 5 (aged 17) that I had the chance to take a bus to Bangsar and searched for Creative Enterprise, the publisher and met the people behind the cartoons. I dragged along my brother Ali who was about 12 at that time, to accompany my little trip. He was crazy about the magazine as well.
 

Way back when I was 12, I actually created a so-called magazine out of my Exercise Book called SENYUM SENGEH ( translated as SMILE2x?). Unfortunately, I lost the few issues of my own magazines due to my family moving from one place to another over the years. My brother still remember the book. He said he actually copied one and sold to his friend! CHEH!! Too late for me to chase him around the house, I guess.

Anyway, back to my trip to the magazine's office- both of us (my bro & me) were quite excited meeting the cartoonist. They were friendly and funny.. and we even received a few souvenirs from them like a sketchbook with their signatures and a few of them sketched our caricatures in it too. Allahyarham Rejabhad asked me if I wanted to join his "Cartoon Workshop" during weekends? Duh, of course I wanted to join. A few months later, my first cartoon strip was printed in the magazine in New Talent's corner. A few more strips were approved and printed in the next month. A few months later also, I was offered to study abroad in Advertising. To cut a short story even shorter, I took up the offer and never returned to Creative Enterprise again.

But after all the years, I still love cartooning. That's all I have to say about that..

I'd like to make a note here that in year 2008, a Thailand publisher has published a book written by a Malaysian entitled Dos & Don'ts in Malaysia. I was thrilled as by chance, the publisher's rep commissioned me to do the cartoons for the book. I did almost 250 illustrations not without a lot of researches and references for over one year. It was quite a daunting task but I treasured the experience. Unfortunately, as the book was published, it was hit hard by a few bad reviews and controversial issues on races and beliefs written by the author... later it was asked to be removed from selling in any bookstores in Malaysia. Yeah, too bad my works didn't quite see the light of the day. Thankfully, the publisher did pay me and gave a few copies for my keepsake. Phew.


Owh, I just found someone selling it on ebay!

Here's a cartoon of mine that I wanted to produce for Raya card last few years. I think it's cute. Heh.

Enjoy..







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...